Staff Software Engineer (Austin, TX)
The Sumatra platform gives data scientists and ML engineers self-service tools to transform streaming event data into powerful features that drive real-time machine learning applications. Organizations use Sumatra to build fast, fresh, agile ML services for everything from fraud prevention and network security to personalized recommendations and churn intervention.
We are an ambitious team of builders bringing real-time ML within reach for all organizations. Our team comprises experienced architects and operators of ML platforms at companies such as Apple and The Zebra. We are backed by institutional investors, and we are growing. This position is based in Austin, TX, with a flexible work-from-home policy.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be responsible for developing enhancements to Sumatra's cloud data platform, core feature language, and suite of developer tools.
We are looking for a talented, self-motivated software engineer with a demonstrated history of building scalable data-intensive applications.
The talent and experience you bring
- 5+ years as a software engineer
- Experience building and operating large-scale distributed systems
- Mastery of Go
- Familiarity with: AWS, Terraform, Kinesis/Kafka, Presto/Athena
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Build streaming data applications using AWS serverless components like Lambda, Kinesis, and DynamoDB
- Build batch data applications using AWS Athena, Step Functions, S3, and Parquet
- Support self-hosted and customer-hosted deployments via Terraform and CI/CD
- Develop GraphQL APIs in close coordination with front-end engineers
- Enhance our Python SDK to support data scientist workflows for analysis and model training
- Optimize and extend our DSL compiler with core language improvements and standard library functions
- Write lots and lots of Go
What success looks like
In your first month, you will work closely with the founding engineering team to rapidly get up to speed on all things Sumatra, our platform, and our customer use cases. You will familiarize yourself with our code base, processes, and tooling. You will knock out bug fixes and enhancement tickets. And you will start to contribute to architectural decisions.
From there, you will take ownership over parts of the code base and begin to independently lead development of major product features. You will see projects through from conception and design to implementation and testing.
As you progress, you will have opportunities for your role to expand accordingly. Based on your ambitions and strengths, the position may grow to include mentorship and technical leadership.
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance for you and your dependents
- Flexible PTO and work-from-home policy
- Generous allowance for professional conferences and training
- The most engaging work of your career
Send résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org